Our Hurricane IKE story............ (so far!!)
We stayed through the night but got out of there as soon as it was "safe" enough ...around noon today. It was still windy and raining but we headed west as fast as we could and prayed we could get to Austin. We made it and it's HOT and SUNNY here! The girls are out swimming with Grandma and Grandad as we speak!! Let's just say we will never make that mistake again. It's just not worth it when I could have been here in AIR CONDITIONING and food and could have slept through the night. Instead, Chip and Candace came over and we played a game with them until around 10. We headed to bed around 11 and I was up at midnight as the branches from the shrubs were beating on our windows. I checked the radar and went back to bed but was up again at 2 until around 6. We moved to the front of the house away from the trees, which turned out to be a smart move (see below). The girls woke up during the move to a new room but Kaiden would have slept through the whole thing if she hadn't woke up coughing. Right after we fell asleep I heard a crash and was so tired I just went back to sleep. I knew something wasn't good when Jeff joined us in the "safe room" and slept on the floor. Those of you who know Jeff knows that man is all about comfort. That's how scary it was in the back of our house! We woke up around 8 and this is what we found. Jeff knew what had happened but decided to let me get a few minutes of sleep....................
Yes, that's our backyard. Or what's left of it!! We have 2 trees left, the tiny one on the right hand side of the picture and one in the very left hand corner. (That is if they are still standing.)
Jeff's shed held up but the top of a pine tree landed directly on top!!
This is the back of our house by our bedroom.
Same area!
This is the shrub that is by our kitchen window. (there shouldn't be any trees in this picture!)
Here is another shot of the kitchen side of the house!
The water was rising as well and that's when we said now is our chance to get out. We were VERY cautious I promise. We knew that we might have to turn back but we went for it and I am so glad to be out of there!!

The water was rising as well and that's when we said now is our chance to get out. We were VERY cautious I promise. We knew that we might have to turn back but we went for it and I am so glad to be out of there!!
Jeff and I will probably head back either tomorrow or Monday depending on what the news reports are but the girls have reservations at G'ma's and G'dad's until we have electricity and our backyard cleaned up!!
3 comments:
SOOOOO glad you guys are safe. I think we're heading to Sea World tomorrow...you guys should come!
Don't think we're heading back anytime soon. Maybe we'll meet up with you guys in Austin for a playdate!
Wow!! What pictures of your house. So glad that you all were able to get out of there and to drier and cooler ground. From what we could see on TV, there was so much destruction that the wind and rains brought.
Stay safe.
Mike and Mary Helen
YIKES!!!!
Those pictures wouldn't pull up the first time I checked - just now seeing them...how SCARY!!!!!!
SUPER glad you guys didn't get hurt!
Post a Comment